Hair transplantation is a delicate surgery that needs meticulous pre- and post-operative care. Post-op care especially plays a key role in determining the ultimate outcome of the surgery and ensuring quick, uneventful recovery. Here is a list of post-op instructions that we provide our patients at Hair Transplant Dubai Clinic:
Rest, Rest and Rest: Immediately after the surgery go home and rest as much as possible, for at least 12 to 18 hours.
Sleep With Head Elevated Up: Sleep with your head elevated at 45 degrees angle for the first three nights, following hair transplant.
No Blood Thinners, Alcohol And Cigarettes: Refrain from taking any blood-thinner, smoking and drinking alcohol for at least a week after surgery.
WHAT TO DO ABOUT:
- Bleeding: Expect to wipe blood from treated areas for up to a couple of days after the surgery. Applying firm, steady pressure for 15 minutes can help stop bleeding completely. Be gentle otherwise you may end up dislodging freshly transplanted grafts.
- Pain: Your scalp may remain sore and tender for 1 or 2 days following surgery. Your surgeon will prescribe you some pain control medications. Start using them immediately after the surgery to minimize post-surgical discomfort.
- Swelling: Swelling after hair transplant surgery is quite common. Swelling usually begins around day 2 to 4 after surgery and subsides within a week. It starts from the forehead and moves down to the eyes and nose before subsiding. Chances of swelling can be reduced by sleeping with head elevated for the first few days following transplant. Cold compressions may also help alleviate swelling.
- Wound Care: In case of FUT transplant you will end up with a linear scar at the donor site and thousands of micro-sized wounds at the recipient site. FUE, on the other hand, causes pinhole wounds at both donor and recipient area. Take prescription antibiotics and keep the wounds clean to avoid any infection. Also apply prescription ointment to the wounds, this will help reduce crusting.
- Infection: Infection is rare yet possible, especially if you don’t take proper care of wounds. Avoid exposing your scalp to dirt, dust, sweating and sunlight for at least two weeks post-transplant. Don’t touch your scalp out of habit. If necessary, touch it with clean, sanitized hands to reduce chances of infection. Report any unusual swelling, redness or itchiness to your doctor immediately.
- Work and Exercise: Most patients are able to resume routine activities two days after FUE transplant and 5 days after FUT hair transplant. However, refrain from heavy work, sports and exercise for a couple of weeks. Weight lifting and swimming in chlorinated water are also not allowed for 10 to 14 days. Return to gym only after your surgeon allows you to.
- Hair Washing: You can begin to wash your head the next day following the transplant, but do that with very gentle hands. Do not let the water fall directly on the freshly transplanted hair for at least a week. It usually takes 10 to 12 days before the hair follicles attach themselves to the blood supply in the recipient area.
- Scab and Crusts: Scab begins to form on the wounds from the next day following surgery. Avoid touching, picking or scratching at the scab. Let the scab come off naturally while you wash your head. Resist your urge to scratch dry crusts and apply prescribed ointment to soften them.
Remember, your scalp will go worst before it begins to improve and you are finally able to see the desired results. Transplanted hair will shed between 2nd and 4th week post transplant and begin to regrow after 3rd month. Full growth can be seen after 12 to 18 months.
Schedule a FREE CONSULTATION:
To know more about hair transplant post-operative care, fill the form below and let our experts guide you. If you are interested in a hair transplant surgery, contact us now to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION.